Saturday, April 9, 2011

With a heavy heart

Today was the hardest day yet in Uganda.

I was aware of the mission that was planned for today, yet had no idea how difficult it would actually be.

A woman who lives here in Uganda was getting married. She has 16 sons who were once street boys, yes they lived on the streets of Uganda with no momma to love them.

We had been invited to her wedding. If any of you can remember, we were collecting shirts, ties, and other items to fit about 200+ street boys because they too were invited to the wedding.All of the team brought many suitcases filled with donations for these lil kings.

Let me explain how these boys live. The images you have seen on tv that show the filth, the trash, the poverty......this is truly where these children live. This is the real deal, no dress up......no pretend play, oh how I wish!

Our day began by going into the slums of Uganda. Our van pulled up and boys screamed with glee for what seemed like miles away. They knew we were coming. They had been told.

These children have nothing......no I can't stress enough..........they have nothing.

They fight each other to just have an opportunity at a warm meal, which is something that looks like mushy, runny glue. Yet they are thankful, for they have nothing.

I heard many call out to me, Mommy.....Auntie.......they long for someone to just show them affection.

Many children in Uganda huff paint and other things because when they do this, it curbs the hunger pains. I sat across from a 10-12 year old boy that was higher than a kite.

I prayed that Jesus would send in a rescue boat to come whisk him away to a better, safer life.

UNFATHOMABLE!!! There are no adequate words to describe the pain of this momma's heart. My entire body and soul ache for them.

I think of my boys at home and how their biggest stress is which one will play the X-Box next or who drank the last Dr. Pepper.

How I wish this were the case in Uganda.

We fitted boys with shirts, ties, pants, underwear, and shoes. These children were wearing rags. Most did not have underwear, let alone a clean pair.

We then fitted them with corsages and sprayed them with boy's cologne. They were each given a bag with a picture and note from someone in America. We explained that the family was in America praying for them.

One boy, who was about the age of 18 came and found Kim. He had received a picture of her and her family. He said, "I found you! Are you my mother?"

Swallow that in one big gulp! Can you imagine? 18, nearly an adult yet, still longing for a mother to love him.

The smaller children would reach for us and we would hold them. We did not ask what they smelled of, what their story was, or anything else for that matter. We just simply loved. We picked them up. We cuddled them. We told them that Jesus loved them. Time stopped as I imagine what their future would hold.

Will they be here if I come back in 6 months? A year? Will they die of AIDS? Will they get beaten to death while simply trying to get a meal for their empty bellies?

The clothes had been given out, as well as the shoes, yet there were still more children. What now God?? HELP!

We had to tell the children that though they had stood in line and waited so long, in the end they would get nothing. We promised to love on them. Yet, some got nothing.

Some may say, Well, you can't change the world Bambi. Ahhhhhh, but I can change the world of one child, two children......and many more.

In America we worry about our children sharing a room. Families here fit into a room smaller than my bathroom.

Oh how my body and soul aches for these precious forgotten treasures.

Our day went on as we went to the wedding. These beautiful boys, an hour earlier dressed in rags, were now dressed as if they came out of the J.C. Penney's catalog.

Their smiles, from ear to ear. Their bodies danced as the beautiful African music played. For one moment in time, they had no worries. I longed to take their pain........for forever.

One boy stood out to me in a crowd of many. His name is Fred. He is 18 and he is beautiful. He has a smile that would melt any girls heart. His eyes
show pure joy. He is a leader. I could tell this right away. He wood take the younger boys under his wing and guide them.

He danced like I have never seen any boy dance in my life. Yet, he lives on the streets. He is alone.

Tonight I sit at a computer, while I'm sure he is laying in a mud room, possibly laddend with disease.

I begged God to etch his face in my mind. I never want to forget him. How could I? How dare I?

In the middle of the beautiful wedding ceremony, I looked around and many boys were sleeping. I asked why and was told that they are so tired from having no where to sleep. When they feel at peace somewhere, they fall asleep.

Can you imagine being a boy, living on the streets and then someone scoops you up, dresses you in fancy clothing, and invites you over for dinner? Can you imagine?????

This was the case here and excitement consumed us all.

At the reception I watched as boys were served fancy food, and a Fanta Orange soda in a glass bottle. I had to bow my head and thank Jesus as the tears stremed down my face in pure joy.

The singing, the dancing, the food, I cannot put into words how awesome and awful today was all at the same time.

When they children were done, the plates were empty. EMPTY! Nothing that they didnt like was left on the plates. They were so thankful for a simple meal.

Children called out to me....Mommy, Auntie throughout the entire day. It made my heart happy to know for one single moment in time, these princes felt loved.

I wish I could have chartered a 777 plane and brought all of the boys home to America with me. I prayed for Jesus to FIX THIS!!! FIX IT!! MAGIC ERASER BAR KINDA FIX THIS JESUS! Make it all go away! It truly was too much to bear!

I asked about Fred. I wanted to know more about his story. Two beautiful Ugandan mommas inquired for me. I told them I would love to be his American momma. They ran and told him to come here, and so he did.

I explained to him that though we would be 9,000 miles away, I would be loving him. I would be praying for him. I would come back to visit him. He agreed that he would like this.

The tears poured out of my eyes like a faucet as I was consumed by heartache. I begged for heaven and earth to move on his account. SHOW OFF GOD!! SHOW OFF BIG in this young man's life. Let him feel loved. Let him not feel alone. Let him know that my words are true. Let him know that I love him as a momma loves her boy. I love him more than words and ache for him to be consumed with Jesus.

I beg you to pray with me as this day has left me feeling heavy.
More to come,
Bambi

No comments:

Post a Comment